This course introduces participants to the computing environment found in UH high performance computing clusters such as Carya, Sabine and Opuntia, including how to prepare work-flows, submit jobs to the queuing systems, and retrieve results. Other topics covered include general HPC concepts, Opuntia’s system architecture, system access, customizing your user environment, compiling and linking codes for CPUs or GPUs, the SLURM batch scheduling system, batch job scripts, Matlab jobs, submission of serial or interactive or parallel (gpu/cpu) jobs to the batch system.
Topics in Linux covered include user accounts, file permissions, file system navigation, the Command Line Interface (CLI), command line utility programs, file & folder manipulation, and common text editors.
Topics covered in Shell scripting include built-in commands, control structures, file descriptors, functions, parameters & variables, and shell scripting.
Date: 23rd Jan 2023 - 27th Feb 2023
Time: Mon Wed 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Instructor: Dr. Jerry Ebalunode
Teaching Assistant: Harshini Kothapalli
Location: Join Microsoft Teams
- HPE DSI’s courses are free for UH System students from outside the Main Campus. However, these individuals must enroll in our courses at least three weeks before the courses starting date to allow for proper registration.
- I request everyone to join the classes when it is started by the Instructor or the TA.
- If the meeting has already started, please just join the meeting using join option, don't start a new meeting or restart the meeting by yourself which would cause a lot of confusion as they would redirect you to a different meeting room.
Also, for students interested in getting a badge or certificate for completing this course, an attendance grade of at least 12 hours of the class meeting sessions is required, to be qualified for passing the course and getting the badge.
Clear Lake, Victoria, Downtown, Sugar Land or Katy campuses
Attendees who are current UHS student, staff or faculty from the Clear Lake, Victoria, Downtown, Sugar Land or Katy campuses MUST fill in this credentials form at least three(3) weeks before the course start date. This will allow adequate time for processing of your course access credentials before the first-class.
Current UHS (all campuses) Student, Staff or Faculty Registration Fee: Free.
UH Alumni and Non-UH Affiliates
Attendees who are not current UHS student, staff or faculty will need to make a payment for the course prior to its commencement.
UH Alumni Registration Fee: $250.00.
Non-UH Affiliate Registration Fee: $250.00.
** Non-UH affiliates and alumni registering for the HPE DSI classes MUST:
(1) complete the payment of the course fees ($250.00 per course) at least three(3) weeks before course commencement using this payment link : https://store.mynsm.uh.edu/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=403&search=101+introduction+to+cluster
(2) fill in this credentials form at least three(3) weeks before the course start date. This will allow adequate time for processing of your course access credentials before the first-class.
If you need to cancel a course for any reason, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
** The following refund schedule applies:
More than three weeks before start date: A cancellation fee of 10% of the total workshop cost applies.
Less than three weeks before start date: 15% cancellation fee applies.
Less than one week before start date: 25% cancellation fee applies.
48 hours or less before class start: No refund is available.
All deposits and payments made are nontransferable. The HPE DSI cannot provide refunds, transfer payments, or offer makeup sessions for classes a student might miss, for any reason. If the HPE DSI has to cancel a workshop, you will receive a full refund.